Finding the best shade of lipstick for darker skin is not always an easy task, but it is such a great color to have in your make-up bag because it makes an ordinary outfit really pop. Asides that, it makes you feel more confident and makes you look more attractive. Whether you want to wear a bold red lipstick or a more neutral shade of lipstick, the undertones of your skin will determine which color looks best on you. Here are a few tips to help you pick out the best red lipstick for your darker skin or undertone.
Tips to Help You Pick the Best Red Lipstick for Your Darker Skin
Usually, a lot of people just wing it. They go with what feels right to them or just play around with lots of colors till they feel they have the perfect one that suits their undertone. That may work sometimes, but to be sure you have the right red lipstick for darker skin, here are a few tips to note.
Photo Credit: @shaebutters
- Turn over your wrist to determine the undertones of your skin. If you have a blue vein, this means that you have a cool undertone, while if you have a green-ish tinted vein, you have a warm undertone. Some people cannot tell if they have either a blue or green vein, they might be a mix of the two, which means they have a neutral undertone. This is usually very lucky since they get to play with any shade of red lipstick they want.
- If you have a cool undertone, you should look for a blue-based red lipstick. Colors that are deeper, more crimson reds will work well for your skin. If you have a warm undertone, look for orange-based red lipstick; that has an orange tint to them. They tend to pop against a warmer tone.
- Another tip to note in choosing the best red lipstick for dark skin is jewelry. If gold tends to pop more on your skin, you have a warm undertone. If silver pops more, you have a cool undertone. This can help you figure out the shade of red lipstick to wear.
- They say when in doubt, go to a beauty counter. Try on different shades of red lipstick in stores before you purchase any. You can try it on your skin to determine if it suits your undertone, or you can apply it on your lips if they have samples to try on. You will get assistance on what is most suitable for you at a beauty counter.
- After some research, it has been found that deeper shades of red are more suitable for women with a medium or dark skin tone. Shades like apple red, berries, cherries or dark purple-red. Play with a lot of darker shades of red. You won't go wrong with them.
You can opt for a glossier texture if bright reds are a bit scary or uncomfortable for you. Red lipstick is suitable for any outfit or event, as you will definitely look stunning no matter the occasion. Most importantly, you should always try out different shades of red for your lips, you might find a better color of red lipstick suitable for your gorgeous darker skin.